Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Super Dooper Yoopers - The Daily News - Jacqueline Leiker, Raymond Crandall...Audrey LaFave??? Nah. ;)

This column was published back in 2009 in The Daily News, the local newspaper for Iron Mountain and Kingsford, Mich. I never noticed it until I was Googling myself for some job application stuff and I have decided to share it with my followers.

Burt Angeli, the Sports Editor for The IM-K Daily News, pays homage to U.P. sports legends Ray Crandall, my late grandfather, and Jacqueline Leiker, one of my former competitive cheerleading coaches in the below sports editorial column.

Check out the bold parts below if you want to see me bragging about myself and two of my mentors in my own blog! :)

Super Dooper Yoopers extend MSU streak - IronMountainDailyNews.com | news, sports, business, jobs - The Daily News

ScuttleBu(r)t ...

The Super Duper Yoopers, led by whistle-tooting Bob (1641 Parkview) Furno, extended their Michigan State basketball winning streak to 10 straight trips.

A local group watched the Spartans dismantle Indiana last Saturday including the scene where Indiana's Devan Dumes threw an elbow at the Spartans' Tom Herzog - third cousin of Iron Mountain's Betty (Crocker) Wahlstrom. Hope Dumes has learned you don't mess with a Wahlstrom.

Tommy and Lupe Izzo hosted a party for the gang, along with his parents Dorothy and Carl, on Friday night.

"Tom had his picture taken at his request with every couple at the party," Furno said.

Former Niagara golf coach Mark Zenko piloted the bus, arriving 45 minutes early in East Lansing.
"Several rookies on the trip this year, but they all behaved, and when I blew my whistle moved it out," Furno noted.

Wonder if any of the passengers suggested "1641" take that whistle and !!! ...

"Border Wars" high school wrestling tournament, moved from Norway to Iron River this year, wanted Renee "Queen of the Kitchen" Pollard to continue her hospitality room duties.

That didn't happen.

Although West Iron Coach Jeff Chernach did retain two other major components of the Norway tournament - Mary Pat and former Knights coach Bob Madigan.

The Madigans helped out with the West Iron tournament's direction ...
Kingsford grad Audrey LaFave is following in the footsteps of her late grandfather Ray Crandall and Flivver competitive cheerleading coach Jackie Leiker.

Audrey writes for The Daily Press of Escanaba where Ray began his illustrious journalism career. He hired yours truly to this Daily News sports position some 30 years ago.

She also coaches the Escanaba High School jayvee cheer squad, applying the stuff she learned from her Flivver days competing for Jackie.

Audrey, you can't go wrong emulating either Ray or Jackie ...
Here's a belated thank you Burt! Dec. 26 would have been the 90th birthday of Helen Crandall, my grandmother - Grandpa Ray's wife. They each passed within a week of one another in late January 2000. So I feel this was interesting timing for me to have found this column.

Perhaps I will have to go back to my roots and start emulating Ray and "Jackie" again (but OMG I would NEVER call Mrs. Leiker "Jackie" to her face! Or even in print with out quotes, lol. That'd be like calling Mrs. First-Lady Kennedy "Jackie," lol....MAYBE Jacqueline) :)

Although I've never stopped writing, I haven't had any ties to cheer or gymnastics in several years. Perhaps I will look into the possibility of coaching cheerleading or gymnastics here in Chicago. Comment if you have any thoughts! Thanks everyone for reading.

No comments:

Post a Comment